I want to issue a disclaimer first. I am not sharing this info to make any one feel guilty or to judge anyone. I want to share this primarily for parents who are trying to decide whether or not to circumcise their sons, and for parents who need concrete information to show those who are pressuring them to circumcise. Sometimes one parent wants to, and the other doesn't. Or, relatives and friends may be insisting that "it's no big deal" and "he should look like his dad."
When you actually research the issue, it's painfully obvious that it is a very big deal. We tend to be rightfully outraged when we hear of female genital mutilation around the world. Yet, Americans still routinely circumcise (which is male genital mutilation) their newborn sons. About half of American baby boys are circumcised soon after birth.
I have three intact sons. I never even considered removing part of their perfect penises. Man can never improve what God creates. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am thankfully free from the Law, which required circumcision. The Bible tells us that what we truly need is spiritual circumcision of our hearts. Like many events in the Old Testament, physical circumcision was used both to set Jews apart as God's chosen people, and to foreshadow the coming of the Messiah, who would cleanse us from our sins. We are absolutely not required to circumcise to follow Christ. I Corinthians 7:19 says, "Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters."
I invite you to browse the links below, but be warned, the truth about circumcision is extremely disturbing.
This website contains a plethora of learning resources: many articles, recommended books, video clips, and tons of links to other informative websites. This is an incredible site that also includes lots of info on other aspects of "peaceful parenting," such as breastfeeding and co-sleeping, and also exposes the "cry it out" technique of popular parenting.
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/are-you-fully-informed.html
Learn about the incredible value of the foreskin, both as protection against contaminants and as the most sexually sensitive part of the penis here: http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/functions-of-foreskin-purposes-of.html
Here is great site: http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/
Another very informative site:
http://www.stopcirc.com/
Another great site on natural parenting info:
http://iinformedparenting.blogspot.com/2010/01/male-circumcision-more-excellent-info.html
This site has more links and also a reply by me to the blogger's post, in which she described her extreme guilt over circumcising her sons. In my reading, I found many more such letters by anguished parents, who can never undo a choice they made that they deeply regret.
http://onedayatatimenicole.blogspot.com/2010/05/circumcism.html?showComment=1275677894912_AIe9_BEmXuafDv-Hy_OQA-MlM-tnIWNSegya1n8ycxaoLyQBjYlqNNOr23B4STeMXT72AVXbh03s-MxEgGohAQajKcYEIpFBhcxtBZ4B7JoZsibeVioxLaDFrvxStK8Hqao9CiZQQ-oSNnEtH9pCB1nmXccpiHCyruMYM3QJ0BtaK9zSExNwLmNUBsV_8Syy2gB9w7bkwadxSL78O4liugW-nzEr-A9vi3B_dAJhgbnllxmq2ffUzYg#c3283016944928089809
Here is my reply to her post:
Thank you for sharing. I've read before that "we make the best choice we can with the information we have at that time." We can't change the past. You've surely saved many baby boys from the same fate by speaking out about a heartbreaking topic that so many Americans never even consider.
We have three intact sons. My husband and stepson are circumcised. Initially, my husband wanted to circumcise our firstborn. He was concerned about him being "different" from himself. There was no way I was going to allow my brand new, perfect baby to have part of his penis removed!!! My husband didn't have strong feelings one way or the other at the time, so thankfully, he was willing to leave our son intact.
My husband has since said many times that he wishes he still has his foreskin, and our intact boys are mortified at the thought of part of their penis being cut off. My mother in law told me that when she had her boys, the hospital just automatically circumcised them and didn't even ask the parents!
As we bring this issue into open discussion, many more parents will actually think about it, and hopefully research. I can't imagine how anyone who educates themselves on circumcision could still choose one for their son. This elective surgery still persists as "normal" because many people do not question it and think nothing of it.
Just like baby shots and hospital births, formula and day care, many common child rearing practices are NOT good! Just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it good and healthy for our children.
When we take time to learn about these things, we realize it's best to leave things alone. There is no reason to interfere with what God creates. Momma is designed to grow and birth and feed and care for babies who don't need to be injected with poisons and their body parts removed to be better than they were at birth.
PS
I found another excellent link at http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=112410. This is a discussion thread, from moms who regret circumcising their sons. It has been going strong for over five years, and currently has over 560 posts. I do hope and pray that my sharing this crucial info about the truth of what is inflicted upon these helpless babies will save babies from this horrendous fate.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Circumcision info
Labels:
Babies,
Birth,
Breastfeeding,
Children,
Circumcision,
Homebirth,
Natural Health and Healing,
Pregnancy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment